Sunday, March 16, 2014

A Fond Farewell



Since late October 2013, I’ve posted only once on this blog and that’s because my hopes—plans for it—have gone awry.
          When I began this writing blog back in September 2012, I had high hopes of sharing with you my adventures with publishing. I’d seek an agent for the novel I was writing and explore that search with you.
         The agent would find a publisher/editor and I’d let you know about today’s contracts and negotiations.
         The manuscript would go through the publishing process and I’d have a title and cover that you and I could ooh and ah over. Then would come publication and together we’d climb aboard our luge and zoom down the slope of sells and reviews, of readings and signings, of working with social media and the publisher’s marketing department.


         Only one part of that has happened—the agent search last September, October, and November. I’ve e-queried many agents but found no one interested in a historical novel about Palestine in the first-century of the CE.
         Wanting to be published again, I thought perhaps that a memoir might have a better chance of interesting agents and editors. And so I set out in January to collate all my convent stories from my on-line memoir blog Coming Home to Myself. I realized I had many more stories to tell about those nine years, and I hoped to do so this year.
         Because life happens, I haven’t done any collating or writing since the new year began. Moreover, I find myself loath to begin. The project just seems boring to me. And my best writing has always come from the wellspring of my own passion and curiosity.                                                    

What I’m both passionate and curious about right now—and what has held my interest since sixth grade when we studied ancient history at St. Mary’s Grade School—is Bronze Age Greece. Last summer I worked on a first draft for a novel that takes place there in around 1250 BCE.  It may be the first book in a trilogy or I may just continue writing and tell the whole story in a longer book.


         I know, deep down, that the writing itself is the bread, the sustenance. And that getting published is the slathering on of creamy butter. The first is more important than the second. And yet, I do so love butter!
         However, getting publishing—if that ever happens again—is in the distant future. So that leaves little to write about here. And that was what I wanted to share with you.
         Thus, I’ve decided to cease writing on this blog. Anything I have to say about my writing life will go on the other blog, which is, of course, the story of my life. Writing has been a big part of that story. So there is some serendipity here.


         One of the new adventures in my life is memorizing poetry again as I did when I was in my teens. The poem I’m memorizing right now is “Ulysses” by Alfred Lord Tennyson. It ends with these lines:

 Though much is taken, much abides; and though

     We are not now that strength which in old days         
     Moved earth and heaven; that which we are, we are;
     One equal temper of heroic hearts.
     Made weak by time and fate, but strong in will
     To strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield

Those words speak to me and convey what motivates me to continue writing. I have stories to tell—on my memoir blog and in manuscripts. I trust that the blog postings will be read. And I trust also that if my writing is for the good of the Universe, it will be published. But I have no control over that. I have control only over what I do and how I respond to the vicissitudes of life.
What I will do is write when I have the time and health and inclination. I will strive, seek, find. There is no yielding when one’s desire to do something leads them to great happiness in the very doing. As to the uncertainty of life—I’m in for the long haul!
         Thank you for following this blog through the past year and a half. Let’s hold each other’s heartwishes in our visualizations, prayers, and thoughts. May all we do be for the good of the Universe. Peace.


Photographs from Wikipedia.

25 comments:

  1. I do hope that as this door slowly closes another swings open - WIDE. Hugs.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Sue, I read a novel several years ago in which one of the character said that the problem for so many of us is that when a door closes we keep staring at it instead of turning and looking out the open window at a new vista. I'm hoping that I'm in the midst of doing that turning! Thank you for all the comments you've left on this blog and for your support all these months. Peace.

      Delete
  2. It is sometimes good to put all our eggs in one basket, Dee. Time and life have a way of directing our choices and maybe there are times when channeling our energies into one or two projects works out for the better.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Arleen, I've always been an all or nothing person. That is, I never knew the meaning of the word "moderate" and surely seldom lived in balance. But time and life, as you say, have gently showed me that I need to let go. To go with the flow. To take life one day at a time. And thus I begin.

      Thank you for returning so often to this blog and for leaving your comments that always reflected to me a balance that I sought in my work. Peace.

      Delete
  3. I'm so glad you're making the decision to follow your passion, Dee. A very wise editor, who is now my agent, once admonished me to "write from your heart, write the book you HAVE to write..." I so agree with you that writing is the bread and being published is simply the sweet butter on top -- desirable but not necessarily sustaining. I'll look forward to continuing to follow you on your other blog and hope you're feeling better soon!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Kathy, your editor was wise I think as I know that when I talk about the Bronze-Age-Greece novel I can hear the excitement in my voice. That vitality isn't there when I discuss the memoir.

      I really am feeling much better, but I"m trying to listen to my body as I wend my way through a couple of illnesses and find a sure footing for my writing and blogging. I do plan on continuing the on-line memoir. This coming Thursday I hope to review a book I got to edit and then I'll start with my life again--either my early schooling or the days after I left the convent. So much to share! Isn't life wonderful?!?!? And thanks you so much for your help in all this. Peace.

      Delete
  4. I, too, am glad you have decided to consolidate your passions into one direction, Dee. As we grow older, it seems important to me to follow what seems right and not to try and do too much at once. I love your writing, and I look forward to following your on your other blog. Peace back to you, dear Dee.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear DJan, my problem since I was a child has been always trying to do too much. And not being moderate while I was doing it! So I'm trying now to establish a balance that works as I age. You've done that. Your balance is so apparent in your two blogs. I'm still working on it! I am, as the saying goes, "a work in progress." Peace.

      Delete
  5. I certainly agree with your decision to focus on one blog and to concentrate on your overriding calling to write a novel. But it is difficult to set boundaries when there is so much to entice you away from your main calling. You need to have a sense of emancipation and not of heavy burdens. Personally, I shall miss this blog very much, but am looking forward to exploring the other...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Broad, I'm glad you'll be exploring the other blog. Whenever something happens with the writing, I'll share all the news on that blog, exactly as I would on this one. That sense of emancipation is important and you've put your finger on it. I'm trying, as I said to DJan, to balance all I want to do and so I've got to let go of a few things for now. Peace.

      Delete
  6. Following your passion is one of life's greatest rewards. Although I will miss reading these, I look forward to continuing to read your posts on the other blog.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Shelly, I know that you are looking for your passion right now and I hope you will follow your talent to wherever it leads you. As I said to Broad, I'll be posting stories about my writing on the memoir blog as new things happen. Thank you so much for all your support and suggestions in your comments on this blog. Peace.

      Delete
  7. I, for one, look forwaqd to reading ANYTHING you write!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Fishducky, you are always so supportive of my writing. I really can't articulate how much that means to me. Peace.

      Delete
  8. I adore butter, and I love your writing.

    Love,
    Janie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Janie, the thing is that I "adore" the butter and love the jelly and delight in the peanut butter!!!! I hope you have some realization of how much your words about my writing mean to me. Peace.

      Delete
  9. However you decide and in whichever direction I know you will continue writing. Focus all your passion on the breadmaking, dear lady, whenever you are well enough and inspired to bake. You are so very much more than bread or butter. Much love!! :) :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Rita, I'm going to be making all sorts of "loaves" of bread. Some will be labeled gift "books," some will be novels, some will be cat books, and some will be life stories. You're a model for me of following our creative passion. Peace.z

      Delete
  10. Dee, I think this is a very wise decision and I wish you much joy and satisfaction in following your true passion. I wish for your sake that you could be given the butter, but the bread is what really matters. I've enjoyed this blog, but the other is where my heart is and I shall continue to read it with huge pleasure.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Perpetua, the decisions "feels" like the right one, as does the decision that I wrote about on my Thursday blog--to go with the flow and live one day at a time. Right now I need to pay attention to my body and live in the present and in Presence.

      Thank you so much for following so faithfully this blog and the on-line memoir. Your responses are always so warm and welcomed. Peace.

      Delete
  11. Hugs. Hang in there and keep writing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Romance Reader, thanks for the good wishes and the encouragement. I'm hoping that this year will be THE year in which I get a contract for one of my manuscripts. Peace.

      Delete
  12. Kind of a sad farewell that I hope is just a temporary phase. The blog remains and you can always come back to it. I relate to the feelings you express.

    Lee
    An A to Z Co-Host
    Tossing It Out

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hello! I just wanted to ask if you ever have any problems with hackers?
    My last blog (wordpress) was hacked and I ended up losing several weeks of hard work
    due to no back up. Do you have any methods to
    stop hackers?

    ReplyDelete
  14. What's up, the whole thing is going fine here and ofcourse every one is sharing data, that's really excellent, keep up writing.

    ReplyDelete