Sunday, September 8, 2013

Fairs and Writers



I’m writing this posting on Saturday afternoon, but it will appear on my blog tomorrow. Here’s the thing, today I did my walk, then baked a chocolate zucchini cake for the family picnic, and then drove over to St. Mark’s Catholic Church on Lee’s Summit Road to set up my display for tomorrow’s fair.
         When I got back home, I caught up with reading and commenting on blogs—finally got through my list of 70 for the week and learned so much about the wonderful bloggers whose writing takes me away from this desk and into other states and countries and times. In a few minutes, I’ll take a shower, get dressed, put the cake in the car, and drive to the picnic where I’ll probably go way over the 26 points I get a day on Weight Watchers.


         Now what does all this have to do with a writing blog?
         Selling.
         Selling.
         Selling.
         Tomorrow—Sunday—from 8 am to 2 pm I’m going to be sitting behind a table at St. Mark’s Church selling copies of A Cat’s Life: Dulcy’s Story and A Cat’s Legacy: Dulcy’s Companion Book. Also I’ll be selling two books by E. C. Stilson, The Golden Sky, a memoir, and The Sword of Senack, a fantasy.
         When Dulcy’s first book was published I did this fairly often, but that was twenty years ago and I’ve neglected to attend fairs since moving here to Missouri. So this is a first for me in my new home state. I want Dulcy’s stories to reach many readers and for that to happen, I have to do my part. All writers do.
         The rental of the booth space at the fair was $50. In moving from Minnesota to Missouri four years ago, I misplaced the small easels that I’ve always used to display books. So in August, I meandered over to Hobby Lobby, a craft store, found them on sale, and bought six for $18. 
         Thus, I have $68 invested in the fair. I’m hoping that I’ll recoup that money with Dulcy’s two books. I’m selling the books for $10 apiece or two for $17.
         If four people bought both books, I’ll have the $68. Any more sales would be gravy! And if seven people bought just one book apiece, I’d make $2 beyond what I spent. Hip! Hip! Hooray!
         Of course, I’m hoping I’ll sell more books than that but I saw the other booths being set up today and there are some interesting and lovely things to buy. We all have only so much discretionary money, and I don’t know whether the attendees will be readers who love cats. We’ll see.
         So wish me luck . . . and an abundance of sales!        
         Peace.

18 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Dear Fishducky, I'll give a report next Sunday. I suspect luck may be in the eye of the beholder. Peace.

      Delete
  2. They will come in droves! All the best~

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Shelly, I'm going to use your word--droves--next Sunday! Peace.

      Delete
  3. I am not wishing you luck. I am wishing for discerning customers with discretionary income. Rather a lot of them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear EC, what a good wish. Perhaps it would have been good if I'd wished for the same. Peace.

      Delete
  4. I don't think one needs to love cats to appreciate you and Dulcy.

    Love,
    Janie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Janie, what kind words. Thank you. Peace.

      Delete
  5. Just use your extra points for the week and enjoy you delicious cake.

    Since it is Sunday night and you have returned from the fair, it is too late to wish you good luck. However, I know with your kind smile, you drew those customers in and were a success today.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Arleen, the cake was delicious, but it was only one of the five desserts there and so it only about 1/3 of it was devoured. I asked one of my nieces if she'd take the remainder to her office on Monday and share it with her fellow workers! If I'd have brought it home, it would all have been gulped down with good Earl Gray tea! Peace.

      Delete
  6. I hope you had a very successful day, Dee. I love your books! :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear DJan, thanks so much for the vote of confidence. I'm glad you love Dulcy's books. Now I need to get an agent who will represent all my writing. Peace.

      Delete
  7. Well, I am really late to the fair. I hope you did well and had nice weather for the day. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Rita, I'm going to post next Sunday about what happened. I'm excited. Peace.

      Delete
  8. Hi, I really liked your blog, the way of your expression. I agree with you blogging and bloggers help us getting familiar ourselves with different nation and country people directly. so nice.
    I wish you best of luck for your writing. Following you :)
    Have a great week.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Kiran, thanks for stopping by. I'll come to your blog today. Peace.

      Delete
  9. I've come late to this, Dee, but I do hope the fair went well for you and you had some sales. As you say, people only have so much to spend and competition for their cash is always fierce.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Perpetua, I get to so many blogs late--days after someone has posted. But still, no matter what the day, we can discover what's happening in the lives of those people who have come to be friends over the Internet airways! Peace.

      Delete